Monday, October 5, 2009

Pastel: mixed emotions- Part one

Pastel- an adjective, meaning pale in color.
It's no secret that I haven't been a big fan of pastels. Being raised around shuffle-board and palm trees left me a little scarred. Besides, what place do pastels have outside Resort towns and Easter anyway?


Surprisingly, my affection for this color family emerged from an unlikely place: The Street! 
Overlapped and sun bleached, on the street these colors seem new and youthful.
I'm not sure why we associate these colors with things of a delicate nature. I'm almost positive when someone says "you look a little green" that's a pastel.

I think it's time to start playing with Pastels outside the norm.

"Gum wall" Pike St. Market back alley

 
Above color names from Left to Right:  Sherbert, Lemon, Mint, Spearmint, Bubble-gum

"Untitled" Wheat-paste paper on building. Williamsburg, Brooklyn
  
 
Above color names from Left to Right: Aqua Paste, Orchid Sepal, Dirt Cloud, Oxidized, Turq Air

1 comment:

  1. Love this gum wall palette! very rad colors and love the reference!

    ReplyDelete